Tuesday, June 15, 2010

roller coaster.

Yesterday was by far the worst day we have had so far. 

Josh's temperature dropped first thing in the morning.  Then, it bolted up to 102.9, then down to 102.7, then up to 103.1.  Needless to say, I was a little on edge all day long.  Josh barely ate, he did not do get out of bed other than to use the restroom, and he didn't have energy to take a shower.  He slept all day.  He woke up for about 10 minutes at a time, but even then, I could tell that he was struggling to keep his eyes open.  I have never seen my high energy, "balls to the wall" husband in this state. 

One of our nurses sat down with me in the evening... I think she could see that I starting to spin out of control.  I asked her, "Is this normal?" referring to the 103.1 temperature.  She told me that she had seen higher on occasion, but we needed to get it down as soon as possible.

I put cold washcloths on Josh's forehead and feet, then brushed water through his hair.  He was on fire and I was feeling helpless.  Josh woke up for a second and I asked if I could read him today's devotional out of his new book.  He agreed.  I flipped to June 14th and the title was, "The Cure for Disappointment."  I thought... Perfect!!! 

We need to hear that God is still in control.  We need to hear that it's not over until he says so.  We need to hear that life's mishaps and tragedies are not a reason to bail out.  They are simply a reason to sit tight... When the train goes through a tunnel and the world gets dark, do you jump out?  Of course not.  You sit still and trust the engineer to get you through... Go back and read the story of God.  Read it again and again.  Be reminded that you aren't the first person to weep.  And you aren't the first person to be helped.  -Grace for the Moment, Max Lucado

Okay, I thought, I will sit tight and wait.  FYI... that is not an easy task.  Josh's doctors upped his dose of Tylenol and I waited some more.  I tried to sleep, but that did not work well either.  I kept walking over and to feel Josh's forehead or just to sit on the edge of his bed.  By 3:00am, his temp was down to 100.3 and I finally got some rest.  This morning, it was at 99.0 - Praise the Lord!

Luckily, my day was broken up yesterday by a visit from a couple close friends as well as my mother-in-law.  Josh got a new game, some new clothes, and homemade chicken noodle soup!  We also received the quilt we were promised by the sweet old lady that I met in the waiting room.  It almost took my breath away.


This will definitely brighten up our room!

The detail - so awesome!

Other than Josh's fever dropping to nearly normal, this morning has had a wonderful start.  Josh was up and perky for a couple hours (he is napping now).  He ate a good breakfast.  And he got a delivery of five cards!  I don't know why, but he is like a kid at Christmas when they show up!  The cards came from all over... and they were all very special.  We ran out of poster space and have moved onto our door.


Thank you!!!  

Once again, we are overwhelmed by your generosity and care.  The phone calls, the texts, the cards, the visits, the gifts, the food...  Wow!!  God is certainly giving us our daily bread - that is, what we need to get through each day.  This is going to be a great one!

4 comments:

  1. Per the doctors visit this morning, Josh's worst days will be sometime this weekend. So, we are not quite over all of the bumps yet.

    On another note, Josh is up, out of bed, and walking down to meet my girlfriend at the entrance! Excercise #1 complete! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful quilt! What a blessing to have so many people who care enough to send the 'very best'. That quilt must have taken HOURS to make. Beth Hutchings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi and J Parker,
    We just found this site to follow and are glad to hear what is going on. Youre doing a great job. We know God is with you as we can hear it in your postings. Glad to hear that Parker is in the kids ward..Im sure he fits right in. since he's a kid at heart. (We did hear about raising your bed to the ceiling)Im sure the staff loved that. Your faith is very encouraging and a blessing to others. We will continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers. We dont always understand but God is Good and promises to be with us always. Parker is strong with a big heart. May God continue to fill it with Love and bless you both during this challenging time. Looking forward to your renewed strength and health. We will keep sending you and your families our prayers.
    In His Love,
    Pete and Kim

    ReplyDelete