Monday, June 14, 2010

hello moon.

It is the middle of the night now.  I'm WIDE awake.

I was woke up about an hour ago by a couple of nurses in our room.  They were followed by a radiology tech pushing her machine through our door.  After I sat up and put my glasses on, I whispered "Josh, what is happening???"  Josh had a minor fever - 100.3 degrees.

A fever is very common after a transplant.  It is typically a sign that the new cells are doing their job and fighting off Josh's old cells that still remain.  Luckily, we had been told this information multiple times in the past couple days.

Protocol is to immediately start antibiotics, send multiple blood samples to the lab for testing, and take a chest x-ray.  Done, done, and done.  (I think that I am forgetting something, but I was somewhat in shock watching our nurse shove multiple tubes of blood into bags!)  All of the above is done to confirm that Josh has no "bugs" in his system, and to confirm it is just normal signs of the new cells working.  The antibiotics are started immediately just in case.

The nurse advised that looking at his records, he had a gradual upward trend in his temp all day, being yesterday now.  We caught the fever at the perfect time.

Josh is currently sleeping.  Now I will try to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment