Thursday, June 17, 2010

prepare for glory.

This week has not been easy.  Josh has had a temperature of 103.1 degrees for most of the week.  One of his nurses said that she could fry an egg on his head.  I believe her.  Every time I touch his head or his feet, I feel so awful.  He is just radiating heat... like a furnace.

He is currently on several antibiotics and an anti fungal medicine in case there is some sort of bacteria that they hasn't shown up yet.  So far, all tests have been negative.  He takes Tylenol every four hours.  He even decided to get rid of the mohawk so that his head could breath.  Yesterday evening we put ice packs all around his body just to try to cool him off.  Still no change.


Hospital haircut by Mom!

Then right back to sleep...

We had several visitors and lots of encouragement this week.  My three best friends each made a trip out to the hospital. One came each day.  Joshua's aunt Jenny and cousin Nick came to visit yesterday.  Joshua's father and step mother came out this morning.  Both my Grandma and Oma (great grandma) from Illinois called Josh and I to check in and visit.  My mother-in-law continues to visit each day!


Having fun with decorations on Tuesday!  Josh directed
Kelly and I while as we boosted each other up to the ceiling!

Talking to Grandma Tadlock.

Visit from my Father in Law and Step Mom this morning!

This morning Joshua's temperature was at 105.0.  His face, lips, and eyes are swollen.  He has been talking in his dreams and is a little dilutional... mostly attributed to the high fever.  For a short while he came down to 100.0 degrees, but is now up to 103.0 again.  His body seems to like it there.  The doctors said he should only have a 3-4 more bad days... I sure hope so.  I had to sit down twice today when the doctors and nurses were in the room.  I felt like I was going to faint waiting to hear what they had to say.  When it is just Josh and I, I feel much better.
 
Earlier he told me he was traveling in his dreams.  He went to his friend Jimmie's house.  He said it was fun, then asked me if I wanted to go with.  I said, "absolutely."  Then he said, he'd have to practice.  He wasn't sure if he could do two people yet.  I said, "Josh, wherever you go, I will always be with you."
 
I have been so strong this whole time, but today I broke down.  It is getting really hard to watch my husband deteriorate each day.  I leave the hospital room to call my parents and cry.  I have to be strong and happy in here, for his sake.
 
So far, Josh has eaten a Boost pudding cup. For the first time, I fed him. That way he could keep his arms under the sheets. He was shaking. The nurse said that I will have to help him walk and stand from now on due to his low blood pressure and dizziness.
 
Luckily despite Josh feeling like garbage, he has been able to comfort me.  He has been joking around with the nurses, the doctors, and I... sometimes with his eyes closed because they are heavy.  He asked me to come cuddle with him, even though he was burning hot.  And when the physical therapist came and woke him up to have him ride on a stationary bike, Josh told him "No problem!"  I had to smile. 
 
"Prepare for glory!" was a phrase used in the movie 300 by the Spartan King and leader of their army. He screamed the phrase as the Spartan army of three hundred men set out to conquer armies of millions. The Spartans were brave, fearless, and outstanding warriors.  That is my husband.  This week Josh has has been a mighty Spartan.  I am so proud.

2 comments:

  1. Heidi - I'm such a crybaby - I was crying as reading this last post. Maybe the tears we all shed for you will help to ease those that you have had to bear. Let's get them all out of the way so that when Josh is fully recovered we'll be out of them, and there will be only laughter and joy. Be strong my sister. Be strong. LITP always, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi love, I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking and praying for you and Josh each day. I miss you both like crazy and I'm always here all you have to do is call!

    Beck

    ReplyDelete