Monday, June 7, 2010

love: the best medicine of all time

This morning started out great.  The sun was shining!  Josh was up and alert.  And he had NO signs of nausea!  We had an amazing nurse all day who shared our love of dogs.  Her husband's name is Josh and he happens to enjoy four-wheeling, Mustangs, and outdoorsy things.  Naturally, we shared lots of great stories, pictures, and laughs.  It was a blast!  We also had an unexpected visitor stop by, who I gladly welcomed in to say hi...


Josh's loving mother showed up to visit for the day.  She brought us inspirational cards, posters, and some cute pirate window stick-ems to decorate Josh's window.  Now we fit right in with the rest of the cool kids on this floor!  Mid-afternoon, Josh got VERY sleepy.  He slept and slept and slept and SLEPT.  We just woke him up to try to get him to eat a little something.  Next, we are going to try to get him out of bed to go for a walk.  Exercise will be key over the next few months.


Josh did not style his new mohawk today
in case you are wondering.... too funny!

My dad and grandpa also stopped by this afternoon.  It was so great to see them.  Two more wonderful hugs!  I think they got a kick out of walking through the children's hospital... or maybe they were just blinded by all of the colors and decorations.  They delivered a marvelous memory foam bed to go over the "couch" that I sleep on.  By couch I mean a hard, vinyl covered bench with mediocre stuffing.  Needless to say, I can not wait to use the new topper!  Actually, I have been sitting on it all day!



We got several calls and messages from loved ones, both family and friends.  I can not say enough about the healing power of good old LOVE.  It is inspirational and encouraging.  I think a life without love would be a life with nothing at all.

I got a particularly special message today from a very close loved one.  Due to my sister Darcy's undying curiosity (aka need to snoop through Grandpa's stuff), she found a book that my Grandmother filled out about me when I was a child.  It had the typical questions, like "How did you feel when you heard  you were going to be a grandmother?" and so on.  But it had one question that I think was supposed to discovered today.  Today, because this is the first time I looked at Josh and saw how this was already taking a toll on him.  Today, because we found out how the next few days of radiation would make him feel even worse.  Today, because I realized that this is going to be a little more than just a challenge.

The question:  What do you wish for your granddaughter in the future?
The answer:  My wish for your future is that you will always be happy.  Life will not always be with out adversity, but how you handle it will make the difference.  If you maintain a closeness with our creator Jesus Christ, he will guide you.  Remember what I always told you when you were tiny... Don't say "I can't do something," always say "I will try," then do your best.

My grandma passed away several years ago from lymphoma, but she had the perfect words for me when I needed them most.  Written with LOVE...

4 comments:

  1. Dinner. Done.
    Walk. Accomplished.
    Josh... Awake!!!

    Praise the Lord! We made a lot of progress in the last hour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my loves!! I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you as always and I hope things are going well down there. You two make a better team than you know and through each others love you will have no problem leaping over this hurdle. Much Love, Beck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing words from Grandma - oh how I love and miss her so much! She ALWAYS knew the right thing to say. Glad to hear Josh got his dinner and some excercise today...I truly am thinking about you guys ALL THE TIME. Love you both, give yourselves a huge hug and smooch from me. Muah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi and Josh:
    Great news to read. Keep it up Josh. You have the strength of giants.

    Remember: Your pain is his pain, your joy is his joy, your strength is his strength. You are never alone.

    As I pray for you both daily I ask God to give me the words of strength love and comfort:

    Here are his words today:
    "And Jesus said unto them ... , "If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to younder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible to you."
    Romans 1:17

    One step at a time, One smile daily.
    Love ya
    Wendy



    I

    ReplyDelete